“Everyone is talking about What is Justice? – it is shaping up to be the can’t miss conference of the season.” Professor Shadd Maruna, Director of the Institute of Criminology and Criminal Justice at Queen’s University Belfast
1–2 October 2013, Keble College, Oxford.
This international conference will debate and explore the ideas which will be used to formulate the intellectual basis upon which a new paradigm for the penal system can be based.
The conference will explore the ideas generated by the hubs:
- Local justice and participation
- Social justice, human rights and penal policy
- The role of the state.
Speakers will include:
- Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, journalist and author
- Professor Vanessa Barker, Stockholm University
- Professor Nils Christie, University of Oslo
- Professor Danny Dorling, University of Sheffield
- Professor Albert Dzur, Bowling Green State University
- Bettany Hughes, historian, author, and broadcaster
- Will Hutton, Chair of the Big Innovation Centre at The Work Foundation and Principal of Hertford College, Oxford University
- Baroness Helena Kennedy, QC
- Professor Nicola Lacey, University of Oxford
- Professor Fergus McNeill, University of Glasgow
- Professor Matt Matravers, University of York
- Professor Ann Oakley, Institute of Education, University of London
- Professor Monika Płatek, University of Warsaw
Sessions will be chaired by:
- Frances Crook OBE, Chief Executive, the Howard League for Penal Reform
- Professor Stephen Farrall, University of Sheffield
- Professor Barry Goldson, University of Liverpool
- Professor Ian Loader, Centre for Criminology, Oxford
Continuing Professional Development
Accredited for Law Society 12 hours CPD.
Two days of plenary sessions with keynote speakers with ample opportunity for questions and debate, a range of seminar sessions covering leading academic research and practice, exhibition and networking opportunities.
A gala conference dinner will be held on the first day of the conference in Keble college’s magnificent dining hall. Our after dinner speaker, will be the author and journalist, Owen Jones.
Please note that it may be necessary for reasons beyond the control of the organisers to alter the content and timings of the programme.
To book your place please complete and submit an online booking form for each delegate attending the conference. If you have any queries regarding the booking process or which of the conference rates applies to you, please contact our events manager on 020 7241 7892 or email: email@example.com
If you are interested in discussing sponsorship, exhibition space or advertising in the conference packs, contact Barbara Norris, Events & Website Manager to discuss available options.
This post will expire at 3:23pm on Wednesday October 9th, 2013